Archives

2012

Articles in Press

The editors of this journal are pleased to offer electronic publication of accepted papers prior to print publication. Any final changes in manuscripts will be made at the time of print publication and will be reflected in the final electronic version of the issue.

When the final article is assigned to an issue of the journal, the Articles in Press version will be removed from this section and will appear in the associated published journal issue.

Please be aware that although Articles in Press do not have all bibliographic details available yet, they can already be cited using the year of online availability: Author(s), Article Title, Acta Med Saliniana (Year), In Press: [article DOI].

Uncorrected proofs are copyedited and PDF formatted articles that are not yet finalized and that will be corrected by the authors and layout editors. Therefore the text could change before final publication. All uncorrected proofs have watermark embedded within the body of the text.

Corrected proofs are copyedited and PDF formatted articles that are finalized and corrected by the authors and layout editors. They may be considered as a final version of the manuscript waitng for a hardcopy publication. However, they will still have watermark embedded within the body of the text.

 


2011

Cover Page

Vol 40, No 2 (2011)

 

 

The first hospital in Bosnia and Herzegovina was established in year 1866 in Sarajevo, by Turkish governor Topal Sheriff Osman. The hospital had 40 beds with 2 wards (men and women) with auxiliary rooms for employees, pharmacy etc. It was financed by Gazi Husref-bey Vakuf (foundation), hence the name Vakuf hospital. The hospital admissions were made regardless of nationality and religion and treatment was free until 1879. Even after 1879, the hospital bill was to be paid only by those that could afford it. First brain surgery in Bosnia and Herzegovina was performed in Vakuf hospital in 1891 by Dr Karl Bayer who arrived to work in Sarajevo with Austro-Hungarian occupational forces. One of the rare photos of Vakuf hospital is presented on the cover of this issue.

Cover Page

Vol 40, No 1 (2011)

 

European medicine came to Ottoman Empire with the beginning of 19 century. Traditional medicine gradually faded to history especially after publication of series of books by Sanizade Mehmed Ataullah Efendi (1819-1820) in which he presented knowledge from several cardinal European medical reference books without reference to muslim medical tradition. However, the fact that the first modern hospital in Bosnia was established at the very end of Ottoman rule can be explained with distance from Istanbul as a political and administrative center of Empire. The image on the cover is from one of the Sanizade books, representing human nervous system.

Cover Page

Vol 40, No 1 Suppl. (2011)


Selected Papers of The Second Congress of Anesthesiologists and Reanimatologists in Bosnia and Herzegovina
Tuzla, November 11-13, 2010

2010

Cover Page

Vol 39, No 2 (2010)

Egon Reiner (1912-1976)

Dr. Egon Rainer, the first Head of Neuropsychiatry Division in Tuzla General Hospital was born in 1912 year in Sarajevo.He graduated in 1940 in School of Medicine at University of Belgrade. World War II finds him in military service at the military hospital in Sarajevo. He was captured by the German army in 1941 and was prisoner in the Toruń concentration camp in Poland. After returning to Bosnia and Herzegovina he was engaged in the eradication of endemic syphilis in the eastern Bosnia as well as addressing other current issues in the health field that have appeared at that time. Since 1947 he worked at the Department of Neuropsychiatry in Sarajevo with Professor Dr. Nedo Zec, where he completed his residency in neuropsychiatry. In 1954 he was appointed as the Head of the newly established Neuropsychiatry Division in Tuzla General Hospital. After finishing training with famous Prof Ernst Kretschmer dr Reiner became a successful practitioner in psychotherapy, particularly in psychoanalysis, autogenic training and hypnosis and he achieved remarkable results in treating alcoholics. Remembered as a great professional, a great humanist and zealous worker and humble man Dr Rainer was a role model with his professional authority and human virtues.

Prof Izet Pajević

Cover Page

Vol 39, No 1 Suppl. (2010)

Invited lectures of the Third Congress of Bosnia and Herzegovina Physiatrists

Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina,

October 27-30, 2010

Cover image

Vol 39, No 1 (2010)

 

Franciscan Mihovil Sučić (1820-1865)

Fra Mihovil Sučić, born in town Livno, in the south of Bosnia and Herzegovina, studied both philosophy and theology in Venice and medical sciences in Padua where he specialized in surgery. This made him a first registered surgeon with formal surgical education in Bosnia and Herzegovina. An impressive medical library containing over 100 medical books was preserved to days among which, a particularly remarkable are anatomical atlas and encyclopedic dictionary. Franciscan Mihovil by himself composed herb based remedies using herbs which he collected in his frequent mountain excursions. He was a man devoted to his work and a philanthrope. He died of pneumonia which he caught after coming back from a distant area during a particularly bad weather and after performing a successful Cesarean section. He died as a sufferer of his unselfish love towards his patients.


2009

Cover Page

Vol 38, No 2 (2009)

Mehmed Sami Serbic (1847-1918)

was one of the “Viennese pupils”, a group of talented young men that were sent by the Topal Osman Pasha, the Governor of the Bosnian province, to Vienna and Constantinople to study medicine. He finished his studies in 1873 (facsimile of the Constantinople diploma on the left half of the picture)and returned to Bosnia. In 1874 his initiative to establish hospital “Hastahana” in Tuzla was a success and hospital was opened in autumn of 1874. When the Austro-Hungarian Empire annexed the region there were only 6 or 7 physicians in Bosnia and Herzegovina. By the new law, Serbic was allowed to practice only after recertification of diploma in Vienna in 1879.

Serbic enjoyed a great reputation in Tuzla region and is acknowledged as the founder of the first hospital in Tuzla.

AMS 38 (Suppl 1)

Vol 38, No 1 Suppl. (2009)

Cover Page:

Prim. dr. Kosta Stamenković

The Founder of the Tuzla Hospital Eye (Ophthalmology) Department

After being invited by the Tuzla Hospital manager Dr. Alija Karahasanović, during the 1951, Dr. Kosta Stamenković moved to Tuzla and started his practice in Tuzla Hospital. By the year 1954, he has managed to establish the Eye Department as a part of the formal hospital structure and continued working as a Head of the Department until 1961. During his work in Tuzla, Dr. Stamenković had both ambulatory and surgical ophthalmologic practice. At the same time he was very much engaged in the field of suppression and eradication of trachoma and with the help from UNICEF he even established a regional anti-trachoma clinic in Tuzla.

Cover Page

Vol 38, No 1 (2009)

 

Cover Page:

The Charter of Kulin Ban (1189) is a symbolic birth certificate of Bosnian statehood, as it is the first written document that talks of Bosnian borders (between the rivers of Drina, Sava and Una) and of the elements of the Bosnian state: its ruler, throne and political organization. The Charter was a trade agreement between Bosnia and Republic of Dubrovnik and was written in the Bosancica script.

The original is kept in Hystoric Archive in Dubrovnik, Croatia.


2008

Cover Page

Vol 37, No 2 (2008)

Cover Page:

With the arrival of Dr Risto Jeremic in 1904, people of Tuzla had their first surgeon at their disposal. He was soon to become the new Tuzla hospital manager. After approval provided by the authorities, in the year 1906 Dr Jeremic funded the construction of his private sanatorium on a hill named Kojsino, just above the Hospital itself. The sanatorium had 2 pavilions. The State general hospital was established in year 1919, after the merge of the County hospital and sanatorium. The sanatorium (recent photo on the cover page of this issue), had a modern equipment for that time period. Mrs. Eva Weber was the Head nurse of the sanatorium and also the instrumental operative nurse to Dr Jeremic. Round the clock care for the patients was provided by 4 nuns while a small clinical laboratory was operated by a single technician.

Prof.dr. Ismail Hadziahmetovic


1 - 14 of 14 Items    


2012 © Acta Medica Saliniana

Creative Commons License